For My Two Favorite Idiots




For My Two Favorite Idiots

     I know you guys won't be able to read this, but maybe, somehow, some way, you'll get the gist of it. Feel the intent behind what's either gonna get clawed or chewed to pieces depending on which one of you gets to it first. I mean, probably not. But I'm writing a letter to a dog and a cat; “rational” isn't really me right now.

     The long and short of it is that I realized that being happy, well, it's kind of like owning you guys. Except it's a version of owning the two of you that involves nobody bothering to tell me that you both have late stage terminal cancer and I'm gonna have to watch you both die a hell of a lot sooner than I'm ready for, like probably right when I'm starting to get used to the idea of you being a part of my life, and that feeling will hit its peak right when those tumors I didn't know were growing inside you hit that critical mass that leaves you coughing blood and convulsing in my fucking arms and I don't even really get a chance to be sad about the idea that I'm going to lose you or even really to do anything about it before I'm holding a carcass.

     And I'm fucking tired. I can't do it anymore. It seems like every time I crawl out of the canyon, the handholds get smaller, the walls get higher, and the fall gets harder.

     It's not like I really have any reason to feel this way. I just do. I mean, I could point to incidents here and there that made it worse, but then I think about how pathetic it is that I even allowed those things to set me off this way and then I go down the “well if you're gonna be so pathetic that something like that makes you want to kill yourself, then maybe you should just kill yourself, because what the fuck kind of a life is one lived in a state of constant torment over every little thing, and yeah I don't choose to feel or react like that, at least not completely, but then that element of choice or a lack of choice is a good reason to die, too, because hey, man, fuck it, I'm going nowhere in ten years, nowhere in twenty, why not just cut out the middleman between me and the nothing at the end, you know?” road. And I don't think people get that asking me “why” just doesn't fucking help anything. Maybe that's why we get along. Sometimes. When I'm not passed out on the couch. You guys never ask me why.

     And sometimes, that alone is worth every piss puddle I have to wipe of the floor, every dirty litterbox I have to clean, every carpet I have to replace because you won't use the goddamn scratching post because apparently cat claws aren't stretched and sharpened quite right if the the surface you're honing them on isn't of personal value to someone you love.

     And you guys do, don't you? I mean, as much as you can. And I think I do, too. Maybe, kinda. If nothing else, I don't mind the two of you, which is more than I can usually say. So that's why you guys get this, and everyone else gets nothing. You're what I had. I know I wasn't the best owner, but thanks for sticking by me.

     Just do me a favor and don't fuck your next owner's carpet up, ok?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After